Bath time doesn’t need to be stressful or worrying. These helpful tips will make sure you know exactly how to handle the tricky bathing situation.
Newborn and Infant
General things to know when bathing your baby!
- Position the bath somewhere stable
- Get everything ready before you start
- Take off jewellery and wash hands
- Fill bath, always using warm water, testing with elbow or wrist (approximately 36 degrees)
- Always keep your baby snug and warm after each bath to avoid from catching colds.
- Do not bathe your baby for too long. It may not be healthy for your baby.
- Use rubber mats to avoid slipping.
- NEVER leave your baby alone while bathing. Babies can drown quickly and quietly.
- Take extra care when cleaning sensitive areas such as baby’s ears, eyes, nose, creases and genital area.
- Do not scrub. A gentle rub and massage motion will suffice.
- Avoid injuring the umbilical cord.
- Trim baby’s finger nails to avoid baby from scratching and injuring themselves.
- Use soap-free bath liquids and fragrance-free cream to restore baby’s skin moisture and prevent irritation.
- Newborns do not need shampoo for hair cleaning
- Comb baby’s hair with a soft baby brush.